Tuesday, September 10, 2013

how to start labour naturally: what every woman should know

I remember approaching my due date and feeling pretty confused by all the advice and tips regarding how to bring on labour – did they really work or were they just old wives tales? 


Just before 41 weeks I began to feel slightly worried about when my baby was going to make an appearance - particularly as the Birthing Centre I had booked into (and really wanted to give birth at), didn't admit women beyond 40 weeks and 12 days. 


Eating spicy curries, drinking raspberry leaf tea and acupuncture – could any of these really help to bring on my labour naturally?


I'm happy to say that after lots of of personal research and use of what I felt were the most effective methods, my son Rafi was born 8 days after my due date - and yes, I got my birth at the Birth Centre!


So, what would I recommend for helping you bring on labour naturally?


Read on…. and let’s find out.


In this post, I’ll be letting you in on what worked for me, the methods I chose to skip and when’s the best time to start using these techniques.


Now, before I launch into this topic, I’ll just preface it by stating that some of the methods I’ll be recommending are backed up by scientific principles – and some aren’t – BUT, I’ve seen them all work.


My personal opinion is that most of these tips are easy to do, inexpensive and completely safe – so why not give them a go?  If they work, then great!  If not, you can at least take away the knowledge that you did all you could to get things going. 


So on that note, let’s begin.


Methods I Recommend 

Natural Therapies
This has got to be one of my top tips.  I clearly remember seeing my midwife on my due date and her advising me to take the Homeopathic Remedy Caullophylum saying that she’d seen it work wonders. 

I’d also recommend both acupuncture and reflexology – let me know if you’d like any practitioner recommendations.  I used all of the above and think they worked brilliantly.


Having Sex
No, this isn’t a theory made up by men!  Semen contains hormonal fatty acids called prostaglandins which can help to bring on labour. 


In order to allow the prostaglandins sufficient time to work on the cervix, it’s a good idea to pop a pillow under your hips and lie back and relax for 15-20 minutes afterwards.


Raspberry Leaf Tea
Raspberry Leaf Tea helps tone the muscles of your uterus, helping to prepare you for birth.  If you’re going to use Raspberry Leaf Tea, here are some tips for getting the most out of it.


Firstly, Raspberry Leaf is actually a form of herbal medicine and as such, you need to take a minimum dose for it to have a therapeutic effect.  The odd cuppa here and there is probably not going to be enough!  Drink at least 3 cups a day from 38 weeks onwards. 


Plus – super important point – you need to use the “leaf” itself which you can buy from places such at Neal Yard Remedies.  Beware – the boxes of Raspberry leaf Tea you might find in shops usually contain only about 50% of Raspberry Leaf and are mixed with other ingredients to look and taste nice.


If you can’t stomach herbal teas – Raspberry Leaf is also available in capsule format from health food stores such as Holland & Barrett.


Long Walks

Take a long walk, preferably somewhere in a beautiful, natural environment.  Nipping out to the shops unfortunately isn’t enough!  My fist sign of labour was contractions which started on a snowy walk at Ashton Court – I remember leaning against trees and breathing with each contraction – it was a lovely way for things to get going.



Methods I’d Skip

Basically anything to do with food!

I know, I know, we’ve all heard the tips about eating spicy food and copious amounts of pineapple – and I’m not saying they don’t work, I just think that there are much more effective and efficient methods out there.


When Should I Start Using These Methods?

Unlike medical induction techniques, natural methods can’t bring on labour artificially.  What they can do, is help nudge your body gently towards labour.


For this reason, natural methods have a much better chance of working the further you are into your pregnancy.  I’d suggest using these techniques at about 40wks plus 5 days (with the exception of Raspberry Leaf tea which can be used from 38 weeks).


Now, whilst, these techniques are often effective and have helped countless women go into labour – they don’t always have their desired effect.  So, if you do go beyond 42 weeks – that’s the time to consider your doctor or midwife’s recommendations for a medical induction.
  

Now that I’ve shared my top tips for bringing on labour naturally, have a think about what methods you’d like to use should you go beyond your due date and make a note of them in your birth plan.


Please forward this email to your pregnant friends or share on Facebook.


Have YOU used any natural methods for bringing on labour?  Let me know what worked for you – or what didn’t – in the comments box below.


Look forward to hearing from you!


Warmly,

Leyla

No comments:

Post a Comment